Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dealing With Students' Feelings or Problems

Check out the article HERE!

As mentioned in a post last week, having a student who is emotionally impaired has opened my eyes even more to student's emotions and feelings. While reading this article I not only learned the difference between "non-supportive" and "supportive" response, but examples of each as well. The linked handout (found here) by Dr. Bluestein was very insightful. However, while reading through the examples of responses I find that I give both non-supportive and supportive responses. This was alarming to me, as the article states that "non-supportive responses can block communication and create mistrust" which is definitely something I am not meaning to do. The list of supportive responses seem much more general and simple; almost leaving the situation open-ended for the child to solve on their own terms (or to seek help).

After reading the list of example, I am going to print the list of supportive responses to keep in my classroom. I hope to become more conscience of the responses I give to students who are emotionally charged in order to keep communication open and have a sense of trust.

1 comment:

  1. This article was eye-opening for me. Thank you for adding the link for appropriate responses. This should be something that is shared in teacher development as well as in certification programs to create more awareness of this.

    ReplyDelete