Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fitness Video Games are Keeping Your Child Fat

The issue of obesity in America is nothing new and the attempt to solve this problem through video games is unrealistic to me.  Peter Suciu explains in this article that "The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children today should get at least one hour of moderate to vigorous physical activity a day." I believe that video games cannot provide efficient exercise for kids today. Not only is it not intense enough, but kids often find a way to "manipulate" the game so they do not have to work as hard.

By no means am I against the Wii or xBox Kinect systems, however I do think kids need a balance of physical activity beyond what is offered through these systems. Parents should require their children to complete adequate physical activity before they are allowed to play such games. In other words, much like Suciu, I believe that fitness video games should be used in addition to at least one hour of actual physical activity not as a replacement.

4 comments:

  1. Karen, I completely agree with you about using fitness video games in conjunction with actual physical activity. While I enjoy playing games on the Wii, such as Just Dance, I find that it does not provide the same intensity as does running. As you mentioned, these games can be tricked into thinking the user is doing the activity full out when actually you can just move the arm holding the controller and get the same outcome on the game. These games seem like a good idea, but in reality these games are not helping children fight obesity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. The "fitness" games are fun but I know first hand playing them with kids they do find a way to "play" without actually performing the movements. I think that if kids are really doing the movements and participating the way the games were intended to be played that is better than no physical activity at all. I do feel that students still need rigorous physical activity daily and provided the opportunity to eat healthy meals. Schools are stepping in more and more to do their part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone. The Wii and Kinect cannot replace physical fitness. I actually tried it, was able to take a lot of shortcuts (out smarted the systems), in return my wit won! Physical fitness is important and is a requirement for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree with everyone. Those games should not replace going outside or doing a sport. Children need the physical activity as well as the social interactions.

    ReplyDelete